Attracting new accounting talent can be challenging for firms, especially as the trends of “quiet quitting” and the “Great Resignation” continue to impact businesses across the country.
Today’s top talent demands more of their employers. But with the right service offerings, work environment and strategy, you can attract your ideal job candidates.
Here are 6 ways to do so:
1. Offer What Your Ideal Staff Wants
Be what you want to attract. What does that mean? Consider your ideal staff and what they would look for in an employer. Does your firm tick off all the boxes for them? If not, implement changes to meet their needs.
While every firm and candidate is different, some common needs and wants are:
- Clear career path
- Friendly working environment
- Opportunities to grow and learn both personally and professionally
- Purposeful work
- Flexibility in work schedules
- Opportunities to give back to the community
When you understand the wants and needs of your ideal staff, you can make integral changes to ensure that your firm supports their goals and desires.
2. Find Your Unique Selling Point
Why should candidates choose your firm? What makes your firm unique? Consider your ideal candidate and the wants and needs we just discussed. What is your unique selling point (USP) that will help attract these candidates to your firm?
Examples of USPs include:
- Flexibility — Do you offer remote working opportunities or flexible hours? Today’s candidates want more flexibility in where and when they work.
- Positive work environment — Do you work hard to create a fun and positive work environment? You could regularly cater lunch, have theme days at the office, or take your staff on a trip every year.
- Perks — Does your firm give back to the community? Are you a pet-friendly office? If you have unique perks and benefits, ensure you’re advertising them.
Your firm’s USP is what will help attract your ideal candidates.
3. Evaluate Your Service Offering
Does your firm offer services that staff will find meaning and purpose in? For example, do you offer advisory services that can help clients reach their life goals? Employees may find their work more rewarding and meaningful if they are helping clients retire early or achieve their financial goals compared to focusing purely on compliance work.
Today’s top talent cares about your organization’s vision, mission and values. They want to know that their work is making a difference in people’s lives and gives them purpose. Ensure that your firm can meet these needs by offering opportunities to help clients on a deeper, more meaningful level.
4. Take a Multi-Channel Approach to Attract Candidates
Candidates use multiple channels to find employment opportunities, so make sure that you are taking the same approach.
Here are some of the many channels you can use to attract talent:
- Social media: Make use of LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook to reach potential candidates. These platforms are free to use and can put your job opening in front of the right people.
- Employee referrals: Reward employees for bringing like-minded individuals to the firm.
- Industry networking events and conferences: Your ideal talent is already hanging out at these events. Use them as an opportunity to network and build relationships.
- Job postings online: Make sure that you’re posting job opportunities online. Sites like Indeed or Ziprecruiter can help you find your next new hire.
- Schools and charity events: Organize community events and support your staff members who participate in them. These events will highlight your firm as a great place to work and can help attract top talent.
You may find that some of the above channels work better than others to promote your unique selling point and attract the right types of candidates. When you figure out what works best for your firm, double down on those outlets.
5. Be Transparent About Advancement Opportunities
Today’s top talent is looking for a clear career path. They want to know that their firm offers opportunities for advancement, and they want to know how to get there. Don’t shroud your advancement path in mystery.
Leading firms now offer partner development programs to help attract and retain talent.
Make sure that you’re clear about:
- How staff can advance to the next level
- What milestones and benchmarks need to be reached to be eligible for promotion
- How staff can get the experience they need for advancement
Offering opportunities for growth and development through training, coaching and mentoring will help your firm attract your ideal employees.
6. Make Work-Life Balance a Priority
Making work-life balance a priority at your firm can help you attract and retain talent. Happy employees stick around. They are productive, motivated and less likely to burn out.
If you haven’t already, consider creating policies that:
- Encourage your employees to take time off when they need it
- Allow flexibility in where and when team members work
For example, encouraging staff to take time off after the busy season can help prevent burnout and allow your employees to enjoy life outside of the office.
Attracting top talent is possible. Employees today want more flexibility, a healthier work-life balance, purpose, and opportunity for advancement. By offering what these candidates are looking for and taking a multi-channel approach to finding staff, you can attract the right talent to your firm.