The IRS released COVID-19 Tax Tips that preparers need to ensure they are sharing with their clients.
The key points of the tip:
- Be on the Lookout (BOLO) for IRS impersonation calls, texts and email phishing attempts about the COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments
- Remind your clients that the IRS will NOT call, email or text to verify or request personal, financial or banking information
- Don’t open emails you are not expecting to receive and do not click links if you do open them
- Do not provide personal information
- Forward suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you or your clients have questions, visit the irs.gov website for the most up to date information
It is a scam if:
- They ask you to sign your check over to them
- They askfor verification of personal or banking information
- They suggest they can help you get your funds faster
- They send you a check and ask you to call to verify information
The scammers are like sharks and the money is the blood in the water. The sharks are swimming and looking for prey. Make sure your clients are informed enough and prepared to deal with these predators and don’t become their prey.
Information is power, so pass it along.